- A Schlage keypad lock can be programmed using the 6-digit programming code associated with the lock.
- Schlage keypad locks allow you to add or delete the user code, enable and disable vacation mode, change the programming code, and a lot more.
- In case you cannot remember the programming code on your Schlage lock, you can reset the lock to its default settings to program it afresh.
With everything around us becoming smarter, our locks are no exception. Our lives are now simpler and easier thanks to keypad locks. Since we can now type a code to obtain entry to our houses, we no longer need to carry a lot of keys to lock and open our doors.
When we talk about keypads or smart locks, we have to talk about Schlage. Schlage is one of the most trusted brands for smart locks in the US. They come with a variety of features and settings that make the user’s home security experience as convenient as it can be. Once you know how to program a Schlage keypad lock, you can secure your home in an efficient manner that padlocks can never do.
In this article, we will learn the steps to program various features in Schlage keypad locks, including changing the programming code, deleting or adding user codes, enabling and disabling vacation mode, etc. However, before we come to the point, let us learn the basics about the codes on Schlage lock.
Codes On Schlage Locks
Before we learn about programming a Schlage lock, it is crucial to understand the codes on the keypad lock. The programming code and the user code are the two different kinds of codes associated with Schlage locks.
The programming code is a six-digit code that puts your Schlage keypad lock into programming mode. The purpose of a programming code is not to unlock your Schlage lock but to change the programs of the lock. You can find the default programming code for your locks at the back of the user manual and also at the back of the lock.
User Or Access Code
The user code, also called the access code, is a 4-digit code that functions as the key to your Schlage keypad lock. The default user or access code is printed on the user manual that comes with the lock kit. You may change or add user code(s) on your Schlage lock using the programming code. It is possible to add up to 19 user codes on Schlage locks. Of the 19 codes, one acts as a primary user code, and the rest as guest codes.
How To Program A Schlage Lock
To program the Schlage keypad lock, you need to put the lock in the programming code. You can do the same by pressing the Schlage button followed by the programming code. In this section of the article, we shall discuss programming several features on a Schlage Keypad lock.
It is noteworthy that after 30 seconds of inactivity after pressing the Schlage button, the lock will be out of programming mode. Also, at any point, if you make any mistake while programming your Schlage lock, you may enter the outside Schlage button to exit the programming mode and start over afresh.
Add A New User Code On Schlage Lock
You can add up to 19 user codes on your Schlage lock using the steps mentioned below.
- Step 1: Press the Schlage button on the keypad.
- Step 2: Enter the 6-digit programming code on your Schlage keypad lock. You will notice that the programming indicator light will turn solid.
- Step 3: Next, press the number 1 on the keypad.
- Step 4: Enter a 4-digit desired user code that you wish to add. It is noteworthy that the digits of your desired user code should be in a different order than the first four digits of your programming code.
- Step 5: Repeat the step and enter the same 4-digit user code once more.
- Step 6: Wait until the lock beeps and blinks twice to indicate that the code has been successfully added.
While adding a new user code on a Schlage keypad lock, it is important to note that the digits that you are using for the user code are not identical to the first four digits on the primary code. The lock would not set the user code with digits identical to the programming code, and the Schlage lock will blink red light.
Delete A User Code
- Step 1: Enter the Schlage button Schlage lock’s keypad.
- Step 2: Press the programming code to put the Schlage lock in programming mode.
- Step 3: Now press the Schlage button, followed by the number 2 on the keypad.
- Step 4: Enter the user code that you wish to delete.
- Step 5: Re-enter the unwanted user code.
- Step 6: The lock will blink and beep twice to indicate that the code has been deleted.
You can repeat the step to remove any other user code on the keypad lock.
Delete All User Codes
- Step 1: Enter the Schlage button on the lock keypad.
- Step 2: Enter the programming and wait for the programming light to blink.
- Step 3: Press 6 on your Schlage lock.
- Step 4: Enter the 6-digit programming code.
- Step 5: Wait for the lock to blink and beep twice. This indicates that all the user codes have been deleted from the lock.
It is noteworthy that once the user codes have been deleted, they cannot be retrieved. You can, however, set new user codes following the programming instructions.
Change The Programming Code On Schlage Lock
The default programming code of your Schlage lock may compromise the security of the lock as the code is printed in the user manual as well as the lock. Changing the programming code certainly levels up the security of the lock. If you haven’t changed it so far, I recommend that you should.
- Step 1: On your Schlage lock, press the Schlage button followed by the 6-digit programming code in use.
- Step 2: Press the number 3 on your lock keypad.
- Step 3: Next, enter the desired 6-digit programming code.
- Step 4: Re-enter the new programming code and wait until your lock blinks and beeps twice to indicate that the change has been made.
Once the programming code has been changed, you shall no longer be able to use the old code to program your Schlage lock.
Activate Vacation Mode On Schlage Lock
The vacation mode is a great security feature on your Schlage lock that allows you to temporarily remove access to your home using the guest user code. Once the vacation mode is activated, the Schlage lock can be activated using the primary user code.
You may follow the steps given below to activate vacation mode on your Schlage lock.
- Step 1: Press the Schlage button on your keypad lock.
- Step 2: Enter the programming button to put your lock on programming mode. Wait until the programming light blinks.
- Step 3: Press the number 4 and wait for the lock to beep, and blink twice, indicating the vacation mode has been turned on.
Enable/Disable One Touch Locking On Schlage Sense Locks
Schlage Sense locks allow the users to lock and unlock their lock with one touch sensor. You can turn the feature on and off as per your preference.
- Step 1: Press the Schlage button, followed by the programming code on your Schlage keypad lock.
- Step 2: Once the lock has entered programming mode, press the number 7 and wait for the lock to beep and blink twice.
Enable/Disable Auto Lock On Schlage Locks
The auto-lock feature on Schlage lock means that your lock will lock automatically upon closing the door without needing to enter the code or use the key.
You can enable/disable the feature following the given steps.
- Step 1: Press the Schlage button on your Schlage keypad lock.
- Step 2: Enter the six-digit programming code and wait for the programming light to blink.
- Step 3: Press 9 and wait for the indicator light to blink and beep twice.
Schlage also allows you to disable your auto-lock feature temporarily. Here’s how
Temporarily Disable The Auto-Lock Feature
Press the Schlage button on your keypad lock. Next, enter the user code within 5 seconds, and then manually lock and unlock the deadbolt using the thumb turn. A blink and a beep will indicate that the Schlage lock auto-lock has been temporarily disabled.
Restore The Auto-Lock Feature
To restore the auto-lock feature, relock the deadbolt using the thumb turn and wait for the lock to beep and blink twice.
Change The Length Of The User Code
Some models of Schlage locks even allow you to change the length of the user code. You can alter the user code’s length from 4 digits to 6 digits for better security, but it is noteworthy that changing the length of the user codes will delete all the primary and guest user codes from the lock’s memory.
Here’s how you can change the length of the user code.
- Step 1: Press the Schlage button, followed by the programming code, to put your lock in programming mode.
- Step 2: Once your lock’s programming light blinks, enter the digit 8.
- Step 3: Next, enter the desired user code length twice and wait for the lock to beep, and blink twice.
Reset The Schlage Keypad Lock
Resetting is usually performed if you have forgotten your programming code or need to set the lock setting to default.
The methods to reset different models of Schlage lock are slightly varying. In this section, I have listed specific steps for resetting different Schlage locks.
Resetting Schlage Encode Or Schlage Connect Lock
- Step 1: Disconnect the batteries of your Schlage keypad lock.
- Step 2: Press and hold the Schlage button on the lock keypad.
- Step 3: Next, reconnect the batteries while holding the Schlage button.
- Step 4: Release the Schlage button once the batteries are reinserted, and wait for the lock to perform the setup process. The reset process will be complete when the lock bolt stops moving post, and you can program the lock using the default programming code.
Resetting Schlage Sense Lock
- Step 1: Disconnect the batteries of your Schlage Sense lock.
- Step 2: Press and release the Schlage button on the lock keypad.
- Step 3: Insert the batteries in the lock
- Step 4: Within 10 seconds of inserting the batteries, press and hold the Schlage button until the light on the keypad turns green. Wait till you hear a beep confirming that your Schlage lock has been reset, and then release the button.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. My Schlage does not open upon entering the guest user code, but it does open upon entering the primary user code. Why?
Answer – If your Schlage keypad lock opens using the primary user code but does not open using a guest user code, there is a possibility that vacation mode is activated on your keypad lock. To access the lock using the guest user code, you must disable the vacation code by pressing the Schlage button, followed by the programming code and digit 4.
Q2. How can I open a Schlage keypad lock with dead batteries?
Answer – You can open a Schlage keypad lock with dead batteries using the physical keys of the lock. If you do not have access to the physical keys, you may use the battery jump-start method to unlock the Schlage lock with dead batteries without a key.
Q3. I am unable to create a new user code on my Schlage keypad lock. What is the possible reason?
Answer – In case you are unable to add a user code to your Schlage keypad lock, you may have surpassed the maximum number of user codes that can be added to the lock. Schlage locks allow you to add 19 user codes, after which you must delete one code to add another.
Another reason is that the digits that you are using for the user code are identical to the first four digits on the primary code. In this case, try adding a distinct user code to succeed.
Q4. Can I program my Schlage keypad lock without the programming code?
Answer – No, you cannot program your Schlage keypad lock without the programming code. If you cannot remember your programming code, reset your lock to default settings. The same will set your lock on the default setting, including the programming code. The default programming code is printed on your lock’s instruction manual, and the same is also written on the lock.
A Schlage keypad lock might alter the way you see home security since it has a number of functions designed to make user life easier; the user may need help remembering how to program the specific features of the lock. Although the Schlage user handbook includes the instructions, let’s be honest—how many of us actually keep the manuals stashed away?
The article should have been beneficial to you in the event that you needed to program your Schlage lock. Do pass it along to your Schlage-using family and friends so they can benefit too. In case of any doubts or queries, write to me in the comment section. I shall be happy to help.