- To reset a Schlage smart lock, you must first determine whether it is an Encode, Connect, or Sense type because the procedures for locks vary slightly.
- To reset a Schlage Encode or Connect lock, remove the batteries, and hold down the Schlage button while pressing the batteries back in.
- To reset the Schlage Sense lock, disconnect the lock batteries, push the Schlage button, and then re-insert the batteries.
It all started one evening when I had to take out the garbage. As I was getting ready to head outside, I noticed the lock on the front door wasn’t working properly. Though, after a few attempts, I was able to unlock it, I ended up researching through the internet how this issue could be fixed.
I did check the lock batteries and wiring, but nothing seemed faulty. Hence, I decided to reset the lock to set it up afresh. Those who know me know how I vouch for this troubleshooting! And guess what? My Schlage lock started working absolutely well again.
Now that I could use the Schlage lock normally again, to make sure I wouldn’t forget the process of resetting the lock, I jotted down some quick instructions for the resetting process and also decided to share them with my readers.
Resetting a Schlage keypad lock can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be! With a few simple steps, you can easily reset your Schlage keypad lock. In this blog post, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to reset your Schlage keypad lock.
Situation When You Might Need To Reset The Schlage Lock
There may be several scenarios when you need to reset the Schlage Lock. The most common ones include the following:
- You have misplaced the programming code or user code to access the lock.
- You want to share access with someone else and want to reset the existing code.
- You want to factory reset the Schlage Smart Lock after you move into a new home.
- You need to unpair all devices linked to the lock and erase and delete every user.
- You want to reset the Schlage Lock to its factory settings after changing the batteries.
- You’re using an Apple Homekit and wish to relocate the lock or add an Android smartphone.
- Your lock has stopped functioning properly, so you need to troubleshoot problems with your lock.
Whatever the situation might be, you must know the proper steps to reset the Schlage Lock so that you can reaccess it. Fortunately, the steps are relatively simple and straightforward.
How To Factory Reset Schlage Lock
If you’re looking for instructions on how to reset a Schlage keypad lock, the first thing you need to know is the model of your lock because the method differs slightly depending on the Schlage lock type you have. You can reset the lock using the procedures once you know the model.
However, it is important to note that the process sets your lock to its original settings. Hence, you will have to program your Schlage lock again as per your preference after resetting it.
I will talk about the reset procedures for Schlage Encode, Schlage Connect, and Schlage Sense locks in this section of the post.
Resetting Schlage Encode And Schlage Connect Locks
The Schlage Encode lock is a WiFi-enabled lock, allowing the user to control the lock from any location using an app thanks to the built-in WiFi. On the other hand, if you want a lock that links to Alexa, SmartThings, and other hubs, the Schlage Connect locks are among the best on the market.
You may need to reset the locks if you are having difficulty connecting to the locks through the app or for any other reason, as mentioned in the previous section.
Here are the steps to do so,
- Step 1: To reset the Schlage lock, you’ll need to disconnect the batteries.
- Step 2: Next, press and hold the Schlage button on the door lock.
- Step 3: While keeping the Schlage button pressed, reinsert the batteries.
- Step 4: Release the Schlage button once the batteries are reinserted, and wait until the bolt of the lock stops moving.
Once the lock bolt stops moving, you will know that the reset process is complete, and the lock can be programmed with the default programming code.
Resetting Schlage Sense Locks
Schlage Sense locks are the latest addition to Schlage’s line of smart locks. They come with Bluetooth pairing technology and can be incorporated into the leading home automation systems. Resetting a Schlage Sense lock is a different process than that for the Schlage Encode or Connect locks.
Here are the stepwise instructions.
- Step 1: To reset a Schlage Sense lock, you need to remove the battery cover and disconnect the batteries.
- Step 2: Then press and release the Schlage button.
- Step 3: Reconnect the batteries
- Step 4: Within 10 seconds of reconnecting the batteries, press and hold the Schlage button until the light on the keypad turns green and you hear the beep sound.
- Step 5: Release the Schlage button.
This will reset your lock to factory settings, clearing all user codes and the Schlage Smart Lock Reset Code. Once the factory reset is complete, you can set up a new programming code and user codes for your Schlage Sense lock.
How To Change The Programming Code On Schlage Lock?
After resetting your Schlage lock, I’m sure you’d like to increase security by changing the programming code rather than sticking with the default one. In fact, changing the codes on your Schlage locks on a regular basis is something I strongly advise my readers to do. It is important to choose a code that is easy to remember but also difficult for someone else to guess.
The steps are listed below.
- Step 1: The first step is to find the default programming code. It is typically located inside the battery compartment or the instruction manual that comes with the lock.
- Step 2: Once you have the programming code, enter it into the lock’s keypad.
- Step 3: Next, on your keypad, simultaneously press buttons three and the Schlage button. The Schlage button will beep three times and glow orange, as you can see.
- Step 4: Then enter your new programming code and wait until the Schlage button flashes orange and beeps thrice again.
- Step 5: Enter your new programming code again. You will notice that the Schlkage button will turn green indicating the change has been accepted.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What are the two codes associated with Schlage keypad locks?
Answer – Schlage locks come with two different codes: a programming code and a user code. The programming code is the 6-digit code that is used to set up the lock initially, while the user code is a unique 4-digit code that can be programmed for each individual user. The programming code is necessary in order to program any new user codes, as well as make other changes to the lock, such as activating vacation mode or setting lockout times. The user code allows an individual to access the lock without needing to enter the programming code.
Q2. I’ve forgotten my Schlage lock programming code. How do I set my lock up?
Answer – You need the programming code in order to program your Schlage lock, so if you can’t recall your Schlage lock programming code, you must reset the lock by following the instructions in the article and, thus, use the default programming code to set it up.
Q3. I did not use my lock for a long time, and now I can see a red light on my Schlage lock even after entering the correct user code. How can I fix the issue quickly?
Answer – First of all, ensure that the batteries of your Schlage lock are not dead. Also, if your lock had been dead for a long time, the codes could have been deleted, necessitating resetting and reprogramming the Schlage lock. If you still face the issue of red light on the Schlage lock, you may refer to one of my past articles for possible causes and fixes.
Q4. Why can’t I add a new user code on my Schlage lock?
Answer – You could be unable to add a new user code to your Schlage lock for one of typically two reasons. One, there are already 19 codes added to your Schlage lock. So, in order to add another code, you must first remove one.
The second explanation can be that you are adding a user code that has numbers that are exactly the same as your programming code. Try replacing the first four digits of the programming code with a different user code in this situation.
Resetting a Schlage keypad lock is a fairly straightforward process that can be done without the use of any tools. Depending on the model, there are different procedures you need to follow. However, this will erase all codes and set the lock back to its default settings, including the programming code. You can then program your own smart lock reset code or user code as desired. Regardless of which type of Schlage lock you own, having the ability to reset it is a valuable skill that can come in handy for many situations.
If you found the information helpful, share it with your friends and family who might find it useful. Write to me in the comment section for any other assistance on Schlage keypad locks.